Working with washed linen when making clothes
All about Washed Linen
Washed linen is a wonderful fabric for working with when making clothes. It is soft and comfortable, yet durable and easy to care for. It is also breathable and absorbent, making it ideal for summer clothing. At Higgs & Higgs we have a delightful selection of washed linens ideal for your next dressmaking venture.
Benefits of using washed linen for dressmaking
- Soft and comfortable: Washed linen is a natural fibre that is soft and comfortable against the skin.
- It is hypoallergenic, making it a good choice for people with sensitive skin.
- Durable and easy to care for: Washed linen is a durable fabric that can withstand repeated washing and drying.
- Wrinkle-resistant, making it a low-maintenance fabric.
- Breathable and absorbent: Washed linen is a breathable fabric that allows air to circulate, making it comfortable to wear in hot weather.
- Versatile: Washed linen can be used to make a variety of clothing items, from dresses and skirts to shirts and pants. It is a popular fabric for making home décor items, such as curtains, bedding, and tablecloths.
What to make?
Washed Linen is the ideal material for some of the below garments. Need some inspiration to help get you started? Click on the links below to see some of our amazing patterns.
- Dresses: Dresses are perfect for summer. They are light, airy, and comfortable to wear.
- Skirts: Skirts are another great option for summer. They are versatile and can be dressed up or down.
- Tops: Shirts are perfect for both casual and professional occasions. They are also comfortable to wear in hot weather.
- Shorts & Trousers: Trousers are a great option for summer. They are light, airy, and comfortable to wear.
- Jumpsuits: Jumpsuits are a stylish and comfortable option for summer.
Choose the right weight
When working with washed linen for making clothes, it is important to consider the weight of the fabric. At Higgs & Higgs we have a huge range of both lightweight linens ideal for summer clothing, as well as heavier linens ideal for summer garments. All of our linens will display a weight in "gsm", which means grams per square metre helping you pick the right fabric for you.]