What is Pointelle Jersey and when to use it?
What is Pointelle Jersey?
Pointelle jersey is a type of knit fabric with a distinctive openwork pattern, which is made by using a special knitting technique that creates small holes in the fabric. The holes can be arranged in a variety of patterns, such as geometric shapes, flowers, or animals.
It is typically made from a blend of natural and synthetic fibers, such as cotton, polyester, and rayon with this blend giving the fabric a good balance of softness, durability, and drape. Pointelle jersey is also known for its breathability and lightweight properties, making it a popular choice for summer wear and also making it popular for that bit of loungewear you look forward to changing in to after a hard day's work.
Characteristics of Pointelle Jersey
Here are some of the key characteristics that pointelle jersey is known for
- Pointelle jersey is characterised by its openwork pattern, which is created by using a special knitting technique to create small holes in the fabric.
- It is a soft and comfortable fabric to wear, which is due to the blend of natural and synthetic fibres that are typically used to make it. At Higgs & Higgs we will always list the fabric composition in the item attributes half way down each product page so you know exactly what you're buying.
- It's characterised by its good drape, which means that it falls nicely on the body, which is due to the combination of the openwork pattern and the blend of fibres used to make it.
- A breathable fabric, which means that it allows air to circulate freely.
Dressmaking Tips for Pointelle Jersey
Pointelle jersey is a beautiful and versatile fabric that can be used to make a variety of dressmaking projects. However, there are a couple of must knows before you get started.
- Lining: If you are making a dress or skirt out of pointelle jersey, you may want to consider lining it. This will help to prevent the fabric from being too sheer. Shop our range of linings here , which help give your finished article that professional look.
- Facings: If you are making a top or blouse out of pointelle jersey, you may want to consider using facings instead of binding. This will give your garment a more finished look. Shop our range of linings here
- Embroidery: Pointelle jersey is a great fabric for embroidery. You can use a variety of stitches to create beautiful designs on your garments.
- Appliqué: Pointelle jersey is also a great fabric for appliqué. You can use a variety of fabrics to create appliqué designs on your garments.
We hope these tips are helpful and give you the confidence to get started