When to best use double gauze fabric?
Wanting some tips on when to use double gauze and how to work with it? Look no further.
Firstly, what is double gauze?
Double gauze is a lightweight, airy fabric made from two thin layers of cotton that are stitched together at regular intervals. It is known for its soft, crinkled texture and breathability. It is a versatile fabric that can help provide your inspiration for your next sewing project, but it's especially well-suited for certain things.
What to use it for?
- For summer clothing: It is a great choice for summer clothing because it is lightweight, breathable, and comfortable. We have a fantastic range of patterns from amazing independent designers that can be used with double gauze to make a beautiful range of dresses, skirts, tops, shorts and trousers.
- For baby and children's clothing: Soft and gentle, it is a fabric that is perfect for baby and children's clothing. It can be used to make onesies, pyjamas, blankets, swaddles, and more. Need some inspiration, check out our range of children's patterns here
- For loungewear: It is also a great choice for loungewear, such as pyjamas, robes, and slippers. It is soft, comfortable, and breathable, making it ideal for relaxing at home.
- For home décor: If you are wanting to spruce up your home, double gauze can also be used for home décor projects, such as curtains, pillowcases, and tablecloths. It adds a soft and textured touch to any room.
Search our full range of patterns
Some more helpful tips
- Use a sharp needle and a lightweight thread
- Stock up on your sewing accessories here and your pins here
- Use a slightly longer stitch length than you would for other fabrics.
- Finish all seams with a French seam or a zig-zag stitch to prevent fraying.
- Double gauze can be ironed on a low setting, but it is not necessary. The fabric will soften with wear and washing.